The Web of Science Academy platform contains courses on how to peer review, as well as a course called 'Co-review with a mentor'. You can encourage your junior colleagues to sign up and learn how to peer review, and then co-review a manuscript, preprint, or published paper together using the 'channels' within the Web of Science Academy platform. There are five channels divided into major research fields: Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Arts & Humanities). These are for co-reviewing with your own mentees. We then have a 6th channel called 'Community peer review mentors' that students can upload their reviews in and get feedback from community mentors.
Mentors need to be assigned into one of the channels by filling out the 'Peer review mentors' form at the bottom of the home page. Mentors can choose to complete the 'Mentoring in peer review' course if they wish to get some tips on providing constructive feedback, and get a form they can use to provide feedback on their mentee's reviews.
The 'My expert tasks' and 'My coaching activities' pages will have a section where you can get an overview of all your mentees and the reviews they have shared with you to keep track of their progress.
Step by step process of how co-reviewing on the platform works:
- Mentors need to register on the Web of Science Academy platform and fill in the form 'Peer review mentor' from the home page in order to be assigned as a mentor to a channel
- A manuscript or paper is chosen to review (mentee can choose or you can suggest or share a manuscript/paper also via email)
- When your mentee has written their review they can put your name on the form under mentor and share it to you through the channel you have been assigned as a mentor
- You will get notified and can see their reviews from your 'My expert tasks' page
- You can provide feedback on their review and reject or approve it, when a review is approved it is published in the channel you are assigned to
If you are co-reviewing unpublished manuscripts for a journal then remember to ask permission from the editor to co-review for training purposes and you should not approve your mentee's reviews or they will be shared publicly in the channel you have been assigned to. If this happens the review can be hidden or deleted.