We aim to process the majority of review receipts within 72 hours, but sometimes this can take longer. Bulk uploads are handled separately and will typically be processed within a week of submission. You can always track the status of your submissions on your dashboard under the "Pending records" tab. You can also see the estimated time that is left to process these there.
Please note that our processing system only runs from Monday to Friday. We are currently looking into extending this into weekends.
My receipt was rejected
A review receipt will be used to verify your review(s) if it meets the criteria of a valid review receipt. A valid review receipt should:
- include the name of the journal/conference you reviewed for,
- include the date you completed the review and,
- clearly demonstrate you have completed the specific review
You can read more about what counts as a valid review receipt here.
If your review receipt does not match the above criteria, your review receipt will be rejected. Additionally, review receipts that do not count as valid review receipts are the following:
- your review receipt doesn't match the above criteria.
- 'thank you for agreeing to review' emails (there is no evidence of review completion).
- invitations to review (there is no evidence of review completion).
- acceptance of invitations to review (there is no evidence of review completion).
- reminders to submit the review (there is no evidence of review completion).
- a letter from the journal that mentions the review is no longer required.
- review certificates that acknowledge your overall contributions to the journal/conference.
- the name on the review receipt does not match your profile name.
- an email/word/excel document containing copy and pasted text from the peer review submission system (please provide a screenshot of the journal's editorial management system instead).
- a screenshot of the journal's editorial management system where the stage of the review process is not clear.
- a screenshot of the journal's editorial management system where the review is assigned to you and not yet complete.
- an email or attachment containing the review content, without any confirmation of your review being submitted to the editor or review submission system.
If you're sending more than one review receipt/screenshots in one email, please ensure that the name of the journal you reviewed for and the date you completed each review is clear.
If you are still unsure why your review receipt was rejected, you can get in touch with our Support team by submitting your query here: https://publons.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
I got an email asking for more information
If your review receipt was rejected and you received an email asking you to provide more information, this would be because your review receipt was missing some information that we require to complete the verification of your review record.
The missing information could be one of the following:
- The name of the journal you reviewed for,
- The date you completed the review
Please ensure the name of the specific journal you reviewed for is displayed clearly, rather than just the journal collection.
The date is usually found in the header of the "thank you for your review" email. However, if you are providing a screenshot of the journal's editorial management system, the date of review submission or completion should be displayed in the screenshot.
Please resend your review receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org including both, the name of the journal you reviewed for and the date you completed the review.