If you would like to become a Publons community volunteer mentor and help students in the Publons Academy learn how to peer review, you can express your interest and give us some details about your field on this "become a mentor" page. You can also let us know how many students you'd like to mentor simultaneously. Once registered you can return to that page and change your availability status, and update your settings (research fields and the number of students you can mentor at the same time). You need to register for a Publons profile if you do not already have one.
The database of Publons community mentors is constantly growing as new Publons community members sign up to help and is currently 630+ strong. There are more mentors overall in the more Natural Sciences fields, but then there are also fewer Academy students in the non-Natural Sciences. On average you can expect 0-10 invitations a year, but this will vary a bit depending on your field.
Anyone with a Publons profile can express interest to become a mentor but only mentors with a minimum of 15 verified pre-publication reviews on their profile or at least one verified editorial record will be able to be invited by a student looking for a mentor.
How do I get assigned students?
- Students of the course who have completed all but the final module and have not been able to secure their own mentor can access a list of available volunteer mentors in their field
- Only mentors with at least one of the same research fields as the student will appear in the list
- Students can click to view each mentor's profile and see who is the most closely aligned to their field
- Students then choose one mentor to invite from the list
- An email is sent to the mentor with links to the student's profile and to either accept or decline the invitation
- The invitation will expire after 7 days after which the student can invite someone else from the list, likewise if the invited mentor declines
- If the mentor accepts they are assigned as the student's mentor for the final module of the course and will provide feedback on 2 reviews and approve them in order for the student to graduate
When will I be able to receive invitations to mentor?
- Mentors who have said they can only mentor one student at a time cannot receive new invitations if they are currently mentoring someone or have a pending invitation that has not expired yet
- Mentors who have said they can mentor more than one student at a time can only receive and accept invitations until they have reached the number they said they can mentor
- If you decline an invitation to mentor you'll be unavailable to receive new invitations in the following 30 days*
- If an invitation has expired or you have declined it you cannot be invited by that same student again
- If you have set your status on the 'become a mentor' page to 'unavailable' you cannot receive any new invitations until you update your status
We do not share personal emails but your @contact.publons.com emails in order to facilitate communication outside of Publons in case the student has questions about the feedback received on a review or if you'd like to let your student mentee know if you have any busy periods coming up. Emails sent to an @contact.publons.com email address will redirect to the email you have set as your contact email on Publons.
Keep in mind, the more detailed and complete your profile is the easier it is to match a student to you, and after each successful mentorship, you'll receive a certificate updated with the number of students you've mentored. You can also invite your own students to do the course with you through this 'student invite' page, you're then automatically assigned as their mentor and do not need to accept/decline an invitation.
*This is only for invitations through the Publons community volunteer mentors page, not your own students inviting you. Also note the total number of students you've said you can mentor at the same time include students you have invited to do the course and who have enrolled, your own students inviting you, and students you take on as a Publons community mentor.