Publons Merit acts as a running total of your contributions as an expert reviewer and is calculated as follows:
- +1 merit for adding a review to Publons
- +2 merit for having a review verified
- +2 merit for making the content of a review publicly available
- +1 merit for scoring the quality and significance of a manuscript (you may score any papers you review or edit as well an additional 100 per calendar year)
- +1 merit for each endorsement your review receives on Publons
Some of the greatest advances in human knowledge and understanding come from experts delving into research after publication to provide expert analysis, insight, context and recommendations for improvements.
That's why our merit system rewards more than simply reviewing for journals. Activities such as writing post-publication reviews of papers and scoring manuscripts on their quality and significance earn you 'Merit'.